Sunday 4 December 2016

An Australian vegan in Mexico

Travelling in the Americas as a vegan has it's good days and it's bad days. Other travellers that I meet often ask me how difficult it is to stick to a plant based diet on the road. I usually answer by telling them that if I let it get me down then it really gets me down. There have been days where i get it in my head that I need to eat a vegan desert before I feel happy, or something ridiculous like that. On a good day I'd just spend 20 pesos on a fruit salad from a street vendor. On a bad day I'll go to every fancy restaurant in an area going through the effort of explaining what I'm looking for in broken Spanish, inevitably to be told that what I want doesn't exist. Which generally leads to me feeling upset and wondering why I began such a fruitless exercise in the first place. There have been times when I'm 88% sure that I have in fact inadvertently consumed the product of an animal, despite my best efforts to avoid it. At times like these I usually console myself that I'm song my best, which is a whole lot more than the majority of the population does. If I let it get me down I'd end up sitting in a dark room of shame and not really experiencing anything that I travelled half way across the world to experience . There are exceptions, but for the most part,  it's possible to find food to eat as long as I'm not too fussy. It's  not always going to be the ideal meal,  which is why it's a good idea to carry some protein rich snacks like nuts or muesli bars. That way you can ensure that you can survive on limited options. Sometimes in Mexico the best option is a cob of corn for 15 pesos ($1Australian) from a street vendor like this one.  Sin Mayonnaise and butter of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment